Wednesday

Daily Cooking for Seven.....


One of my goals this year is to bake and cook more, rather than eating out as much as we did last year. Yesterday I baked 3 loaves of homemade Whole Wheat Bread and they turned out great!!
I use to cook in advance for meals through out the week, well I am at it again. Last night I threw a roast on in my crock pot and now I have shredded beef for: salads, chimichangas, tacos, BBQ, sandwiches, enchiladas, etc... I cooked 5lbs of ground hamburger and now I have enough for: spaghetti, Stroganoff, Shepards Pie, etc..... I just store the meats divided in small freezer bags and freeze until ready to cook. It saves a lot of time in the moments. With five kids and three that do homework daily plus extra activities, this is a big deal in my house to be able to make a meal quickly. I love buying fish too. It cooks fast and we love rice (or pasta) and veggies with our fish. Eating healthy and getting the right nutrition is important. So, Choosing lean meats and adding extra veggies are definately in mind during these meals. And you don't have to fry your chimichangas, bake them with butter drizzled over them~Oh~ a friend of mine uses spray butter, that would work too. It's less fat that way and you can also just bake them without any butter, Just turn them mid way through and you will have a dry crisp. I'm serving up more salads too. I think we lacked on fiber as well, so I'm adding more this year too.
You might be thinking about the baking part...it's O'kay to eat treats too! Notice my cupcakes link? We love cinnamon rolls, I learned how to make healthier ones just by using less filling and I make an orange glaze with splenda. Every little bit helps. Applesauce cookies are great too!! Use Carob Chips instead of Chacolate chips, or buy pure chocolate chips instead of the ones w/ wax. Chocolate is Not bad for you!! The darker the better! I love a handful of dark Chocolate with Almonds. (not chocolate covered ones.)
Well, I think that just by writing this is making me want to stay on track. And the more I cook the less I eat! It might be because I'm tired by the time I'm done....LOL :)
I am always looking for ideas so share your ideas with me!!

4 comments:

barbafamily said...

Great new year's goal and great ideas! I needed that inspiration for us to eat more at home as well! Thank you!!!

Kasey said...

The guys trainer on Biggest Loser, his name so escapes my mind at the moment UGH, says deseret is okay...Once a week. So, bake on girl, but limit yourself and the fam to once a week.
Lunch sounds great! I do preschool on M and W, so it would have to be on a T, Th or Fri. I live far, but I'm so okay with driving anywhere in town. Peter Piper sorta by you would be fine or where ever. Let me know. I'm pretty easy!

Debbie said...

Sorry we missed the wedding---again---Mike was sick, then I got sick. We are slacker friends. Say hi to your momma----

Kenyon said...

Very impressive, I am inspired:) I am always wondering how mom's w/ older kids in school and activities have meals cooked, I just never understood how they found time...now I know. You are awesome.